1. Reduction in Cholesterol New studies with Pu-Erh Tea and health benefits have made a startling discovery; Pu-Erh does contain small amounts of lovastatin, which in synthetic form is commonly used to treat high cholesterol. Additional studies have shown that long term use of appropriate amounts of Pu-Erh teas have the potential to lower LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and increase HDL levels (the good cholesterol). There have also been some cases where extensive use of Pu-Erh has resulted in a drop of nearly 100 points in cholesterol levels.
2. Bad Breath While it is not going to be a replacement for brushing and flossing, consumption of Pu-Erh is actually shown to help fight bad breath. Bad breath is caused by germs and bacteria that bond to the teeth and gums that come from the food we consume. The combination of phyto-chemicals and micro-organisms present within Pu-Erh actually work against these particular germs and bacteria, improving oral health and preventing future bad breath.
3. Prevention of Illness Like most teas, Pu-Erh has been shown to contain anti-oxidants. Anti-oxidants are natural phyto-chemicals that help the body fight off free radical molecules and prevent diseases. The anti-oxidants that are found in Pu-Erh are often in a higher concentration than in most other teas due to the fermentation process that the tea undergoes prior to steeping.
4. Cleansing Many things that are found in out diet, even healthy foods, contain acids and other free radicals that can build up in the body over time. These deposits then get transferred throughout the body in the blood, making it important to occasionally consume Pu-Erh tea to help cleanse the blood of toxins. The micro-organisms and unique simple sugars that are produced from the Pu-Erh fermentation process have been shown to attack the toxins in the blood, removing them from the body and creating a healthier you.
5. Reduces Stress and Helps with Sleep While Pu-Erh Tea is black, and therefore has caffeine, it seems odd that this tea would assist with sleeping. Despite the caffeine, the micro-organisms and phyto-chemicals (GABA and theanine) have been shown to reduce stress levels and increase the production of natural melatonin in the brain, resulting in improved sleep patterns
6. Anti-Inflammatory Properties Pu-Erh Tea has been shown to provide a number of anti-inflammatory properties. These can reduce the pain associated with arthritis, and these properties have also been shown to reduce the likelihood of developing arteriosclerosis. This tea has also been proven to contain theophylline, which is an active ingredient in most asthma medication and inhalers, demonstrating that Pu-Erh tea may also be beneficial to prevent and control asthma.
7. Aids in Digestion The stomach and intestines break down food through a combination of acids and healthy bacteria. The micro-organisms that are present in Pu-Erh tea have shown to help balance the healthy bacteria in the stomach and intestines, which may aid in proper digestion of foods.
8. Stroke Prevention A study conducted at UCLA indicated that consuming three cups of Pu-Erh tea daily resulted in a 21% drop in risk for stroke by clearing out plaque buildup in the arteries. This is incredibly exciting, as modern medicine has found precious few ways to prevent or ward off stroke, making the consumption of Pu-Erh tea a smart and healthy decision.
9. Healthy Alternative While many people are not interested in giving up that morning (or late afternoon) cup of coffee, studies have shown that Pu-Erh Tea may do a better job of waking you up and keeping you alert than coffee. Pu-Erh Tea has only 37 milligrams of caffeine, compared to the black tea average of 86 milligrams, and the average of 200 milligrams for percolated coffee. Even with less caffeine, people that have made the switch have indicated that they often feel more alert, they do not face an afternoon “caffeine crash”, and they don’t even miss their cup of coffee.